Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 reading recap

I haven't done a particularly good job of keeping track of my reading this year so I'm sure that this post (and its attendant list) will not be comprehensive. 
n.b. I did make a few additions to my running list while compiling this post.  When I added a title, I tried to place it somewhere in the general vicinity of where it would have appeared in the list if I'd added it when I should have (that is, when I either finished or official gave up on it).

First, a few notes on the list -
  • If I've posted about a book, I've included a link to that post.
    I do intend on writing about quite a few more of these books, but if there's one (or some) in particular about which you'd like to see me post, leave a note in the comments and I'll add the book(s) in question to the short list.
  • I've also starred the books that I, at this particular moment, think were my favorites of the year.
Now, a few observations -
  • I was much more likely to post about a book if I read it earlier in the year, regardless of how much (or little) I liked it or whether I'd received a review copy).  This makes sense if you look at my post distribution for 2012. 
  • Between comfort reading (Hunger Games while sick; Harry Potter before and during Superstorm Sandy), preparing-for-the-next-installment reading, I did much more rereading this year that I'm usually wont to do.
  • During the second half of the year my reading was skewed toward YA and children's literature. Before I started this post I was worried that the bulk of what I'd read this year would fall into these categories (not that reading exclusively from these categories is a bad thing, just that I tend to think of myself as a more diverse reader than that) so I was pleased to be reminded of the actual variety of this year's fare.

Karen's books read in 2012

124. Tales of H.P. Lovecraft (still in progress but I've read enough of it that I think it should count toward this year; post)
123. What Lies Beneath the Clocktower by Margaret Killjoy
122. The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton*
121. The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth Laban *
120. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
119. Sugar and Spice by Leda Swann (reread)
118. Beta by Rachel Cohn
117. Three Willows by Ann Brashares
116. After the Snow by S. D. Crockett
115. The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg
114. The Seven Markets by David Hoffman (post) *
113. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (post)
112. Safekeeping by Karen Hesse (post)
111. Legend by Marie Lu
110. Talulla Rising by Glen Duncan (did not finish)
109. Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin
108. The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkein
107. Camilla by Madeleine L'Engle *
106. Redemption on the River by Loren DeShon
105. Ape House by Sara Gruen
104. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (reread)
103. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling (reread)
102. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling (reread)
101. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling (reread)
100. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling (reread)
99. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling (reread)
98. Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone by J.K. Rowling (reread)
97. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (reread)
96. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (reread)
95. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (reread)
94. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
93. L: A Novel History by Jillian Becker (post)
92. Thumped by Megan McCafferty
91. Blood Red Road by Moira Young
90. Enclave by Ann Aguirre
89. State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
88. The Sherlockian by Graham Moore
87. The Book of Madness and Cures by Regina O'Melveny
86. Dead Ringer by Allen Wyler
85. Daughter of the Sea by Mira Zamin
84. Love Slave by Jennifer Spiegel
83. Coming to My Senses by Alyssa Harad (post) *
82. Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James (post)
81. The Enchanted Truth by Kym Petrie
80. Insurgent by Veronica Roth (post) *
79. Divergent by Veronica Roth (reread)
78. God Save the Queen by Kate Locke
77. Peaches for Father Francis by Joanne Harris (post)
76. Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver (post)
75. Cinder by Marissa Meyer (post) *
74. Wish You Were Here by Stewart O'Nan (post)
73. Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann (post)
72. Delirium by Lauren Oliver (reread)
71. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (post) *
70. Bumped by Megan McCafferty (reread)
69. Hot and Steamy, edited by Jean Rabe and Martin Greenburg
68. Mariana by Susanna Kearsley
67. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
66. Shadow of the Night by Deborah Harkness (post)
65. Old World Murder by Kathleen Ernst *
64. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman *
63. Faceless Killers by Hennings Mankell
62. Death of a Kitchen Diva by Lee Hollis
61. American Monster: How the Nation's First Prehistoric Creature Became a Symbol of National Identity by Paul Semonin
60. I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
59. Sunset Park by Paul Auster
58. The Luxe by Anna Godbersen (unintentional reread)
57. Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace by Kate Summerscale (post) *
56. The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (post) *
55. A Hope Undaunted by Jess Lessman (post)
54. The Light Keeper's Legacy by Kathleen Ernst (post) *
53. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (post)
52. The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree by Susan Wittig Albert (post) *
51. The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry (post)
50. Feed by M.T. Anderson (post)
49. Miss New India by Bharati Mukherjee (post)
48. The False Friend by Myla Goldberg (post)
47. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (post) *
46. You or Someone Like You by Chandler Burr (post)
45. Perfume by Patrick Suskind (post)
44. Agatha H. and the Airship City by Phil and Kaja Foglio (post) *
43. Mobile Apps for Museums: The AAM Guide to Planning and Strategy
42. I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (post)
41. Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn
40. Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
39. Second Space by Czeslaw Milosz, trans. with Robert Hass (post)
38. Moon Rise by Marilee Brothers (post)
37. Moonstone by Marilee Brothers (post)
36. Timeless by Gail Carriger
35. Invitation to the Voyage: A Poem Illustrated (reread; post) *
34. Personal Days by Ed Park (gave up around page 145; post)
33. Ganymede by Cherie Priest (post) *
32. A History of Venice by John Julius Norwich (did not finish; post)
31. Crossed by Ally Condie (post)
30. The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams (post)
29. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (post) *
28. Dreadnought by Cherie Priest (post) *
27. Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (post)
26. Heartless by Gail Carriger (reread)
25. Blameless by Gail Carriger (reread)
24. Changeless by Gail Carriger (reread)
23. Soulless by Gail Carriger (reread)
22. The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue *
21. Matched by Ally Condie
20. Domesticating History: The Political Origins of America's House Museums by Patricia West
19. Foreshadowing by Marcus Sedgwick
18. The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer
17. Dungeon Parade by Joann Sfar and Lewis Trondheim
16. Gazelle by Rikki Ducornet
15. The Secret River by Kate Grenville
14. Blue Angel by Francine Prose
13. Wherever You Go by Joan Leegant
12. While I'm Still Myself by Jeremy Mark Lane
11. Alentejo Blue by Monica Ali (post)
10. The Gilded Chamber by Rebecca Kohn
9. The Book of Lost Fragrance by M.J. Rose (post)
8. The Pirate King by Laurie R. King (post)
7. Tuck by Stephen Lawhead (post)
6. Marrying Anita by Anita Jain (post)
5. Scarlet by Stephen Lawhead (post)
4. Hood by Stephen Lawhead (post)
3. Ten Thousand Lovers by Edeet Ravel (post)
2. Platinum by Jennifer Lyn Barnes
1. City of Ships by Mary Hoffman

No comments:

Post a Comment