- spinning fiber from Dripping Fiber Studios in a colorway called "The Wall," which I special ordered,
- a double-pointed needle holder from Babylove Designs (my partner really wanted a DPN holder and I chose this one because the fabric read "winter" for me),
- a pair of Arya's Gauntlets knit by yours truly (I'm not crazy about these; more details below),
- Stitch markers from Little Skein in the Big Wool (I purchased a Big Bad set, but I thought that this particular wolf would work as a dire wolf just as well)
- an ice and fire lip balm set from Kisstixx, and
- a couple of goodies from See's Candies (specifically a Bordeaux treat and a Scotchmallow tree).
Winter is Coming
Pattern: Arya's Gauntlets by Julie Coburn
Yarn: Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light, "Tern" colorway
While I love the stitch pattern for the mitts (which is supposed to resemble chain mail), I’m not crazy about the construction - specifically the fact that the pattern does not include any increases for the thumb joint.
My modifications: for the thumb I picked up 20 stitches rather than 16, knit the 6 rows of ribbing that I was supposed to knit, then decreased to 16 stitches and knit 10 more rows. When I blocked the mitts, I manipulated the thumbs to indicate directionality.