Friday, June 03, 2011

follow friday question

What are you doing to prepare for an upcoming zombie apocalypse and/or the return of Mel Gibson to the silver screen? (Both of which could be terrifying.)

Ah... I don't know what to write in response to this question. I could mention the Center for Disease Control's recently posted zombie apocalypse emergency response guidelines, but that's all I've got. Also, a little unsolicited zombie-book-related advice: do not read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I think instead that I will just share a reference for something that Parajunkee mentions in her post this week, the concept of the rational anarchist.
Professor Bernardo de La Paz: "A rational anarchist believes that concepts such as 'state' and 'society' and 'government' have no existence save as physically exemplified in the acts of self-responsible individuals. He believes that it is impossible to shift blame, share blame, distribute blame... as blame, guilt, responsibility are matters taking place inside human beings singly and nowhere else. But being rational, he knows that not all individuals hold his evaluations, so he tries to live perfectly in an imperfect world... aware that his efforts will be less than perfect yet undismayed by self-knowledge of self-failure." (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein, p. 83-84)
If you are visiting this blog for the first time, welcome! This is Karen. I'm a librarian and archivist and I've been writing this blog since 2006. Some of my favorite books are All We Know of Love (schneider), The Book of Laughter and Forgetting (kundera), The God of Small Things (roy), The Handmaid's Tale (atwood), Pride and Prejudice (austen), The Storyteller (vargas llosa), and Zahrah the Windseeker (okorafor-mbachu).

Here are my posts since last Follow Friday last week:

14 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Stopping by from FF. Thank you for stopping by my blog and for following me. I've followed you back. I look forward to future posts =)
    -Mocha from A Cupcake and A Latte: YA Reads, Reviews & More!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about Pride and Prejudice, and Zombies! The title sure made me laugh. :)

    New follower...thanks for hopping by my blog.

    http://christineamsden.com/wordpress/?page_id=200

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read any zombie books either. Did see Zombieland though! Might just use that for my survival methods!

    Here's my Friday Hops

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just doing a blog hop drive by to say hi. (Look, I'm a poet!)

    I hope your Friday is filled with fun and everything necessary to take down any zombies that may do you harm!

    Kelly (and Donna too!) from Book Lover's Hideaway
    http://booklovershideaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog 'The Crazy Bookworm'! I have never read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies but have been told not to lol. There are so many great Zombie books out there though, even ones with a great hint of romance in them. I highly recommend 'Warm Bodies' by Isaac Marion. The book is from the Zombies perspective. A zombie who falls in love with a living girl. Fantastic! Also the 'Autumn' Series by David Moody is fantastic as well. The first book in the series is 'Autumn' and the second is 'Autumn: The City'. The 3rd book comes out in August. Hope these interest you. They really are great books. You can find reviews for all these book on my blog in my archive.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the visits!

    And, Crazy Bookworm, thanks especially for the zombie book recommendations. I'll put them on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for becoming a follower of my site! I'm now following you back from FF and enjoy what's on your site.

    The Scarf Princess

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Karen. =) Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am following you back! Hope you have an awesome weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome that you're a librarian!! Following back!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your visit - I'm your new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by! I think you can rest-assured that I will not be reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies lol! Have a great weekend! ;)

    ~Loren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping by from the blog hop! Thanks for stopping by!

    Stephanie @ Once Upon a Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the emergency preparedness post. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete