Sunday, May 29, 2011

on weeding our book collection (post 3 of ?)

OK, I'll admit it. I gave up on weeding after a while and focused exclusively on the puzzle of fitting books into my book cases. I finished this morning. And I still have room!

Russell has accused me of gloating (he's not Russell isn't quite as far along, primarily because he's so resistant to doing additional weeding), but I'm just so pleased with myself for managing to fit everything in. It has occurred to me to raid the outgoing book boxes, but I think that might set a bad precedent so I will hold off for now.

There's no organizational scheme for my book cases as placement was based on size more than anything else (even series books aren't housed together unless if their dimensions vary). I'm going to have to spend some quality time updating my book collection on LibraryThing with location information for individual titles so that I'll be able to find books when I want to read them. I'm quite sure I'll end up weeding some more while I'm doing that.

So, without further ado, here are my book cases:




And, Russell's, which as I mentioned before are still works in progress:



I just finished the last of our book-only shelves (we have a couple of small bookcases with filled with video games and movies; CDs live elsewhere). It was to be for knitting books and paraphernalia, but it adopted first the cookbooks and then the majority of the religious books (Russell's shelves have a bit more free space than in the photos because I took those books off him) so now it is completely full. (photo later)

7 comments:

  1. Much tidier than mine! Though I fear if I organised them I'd never be able to find anything again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of books! haha! Do you organize your shelves in any particular way? I usually like to put all my hardbacks and paperbacks together. Otherwise, it's just madness. :)

    Great job weeding, btw! Manual labor is tough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like my book collection! I keep my series together, and genres together. That's as far as my organizing goes :-) I'm your newest follower

    Evie@Paromantasy

    ReplyDelete
  4. No real system beyond putting most of the hardcover books on the sturdier shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell Russ to buckle down and weed! I just got rid of some of my text books from college and it felt really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, so many books! Do you organize them in alphabetical order? I have VERY few books, and I alphabetize them so I feel organized :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now the books aren't organized at all. As I was unpacking I sorted them by size and packed them in as best I could. The plan is to get them all entered into Librarything with location information so that I'll be able to find what I want to read when I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete