Friday, May 20, 2011

follow friday question

My second week for this meme.

It's circle time. Time for us to open up and share. Can you tell us FIVE quirky habits or things about you? We all have them...
  1. When I was younger I used to dye my hair all kinds of crazy colors (and I mean bleaching my hair white first to get really bright color). People who've met me as an adult have a hard time believing this. My very conservative father quite liked the purple and took to calling me Princess Grape when I had purple hair.
  2. I own a typewriter. I rarely use it, but I was horrified when Russell wondered if maybe me shouldn't get rid of it during our pre-move purge. I actually learned to type on a typewriter, though I'm don't know how soon after the school switched over to using computers for keyboard training.
  3. A blogging-related quirk is that I'm much more of a lurker than a commenter and I'm trying to rectify that. I have tons of blogs in my reader, but there are quite a few that I've probably never interacted with in such a way that the author actually knows that I'm an active reader.
  4. My husband has five sisters (five!) and they all have names that begin with the letter K. None of them is named Karen so I fit right in.
  5. I'm ichthyophobic (I won't give you the definition; if you want to know, go look it up).
If you are visiting this blog for the first time, welcome! This is Karen. I'm a librarian and archivist and I've been writing this blog since 2006. Some of my favorite books are All We Know of Love (schneider), The Book of Laughter and Forgetting (kundera), The God of Small Things (roy), The Handmaid's Tale (atwood), Pride and Prejudice (austen), The Storyteller (vargas llosa), and Zahrah the Windseeker (okorafor-mbachu).

Here are my five most recent posts:I usually write posts that focus on an individual title, but this past week was a bit abnormal. Any questions? Feel free to ask.

16 comments:

  1. I had pink hair for a while in uni - not my best look! :)

    I'm a new follower! :D

    Jules

    Feel free to stop by my blog - http://thegreatthegoodandthebad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for dropping by on the hop. I'm an icthyophile, something you might have guessed if you my recent over-excited post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, indeed, TC, and I'll be doing my best to avoid any underwater photos you might end up posting.

    Jules, I just added you as well. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower, hopping through!

    I used to dye my hair different colors ALL the time when I was younger! Drove my mom mad. Now I try to stick with dying the grey out. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I didn't know how to use a typewriter and the first day on the job I had to use a typewriter (that was 10 years ago). Thankfully never have to use a typewriter any more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopping by and now following :)

    I used to bleach my hair, too, but it began to make my hair into a frizzy mess. I'm happily natural now :) Funny what we do when we're young haha.

    Take care & happy reading,
    Ms. C
    http://coffeetalereviews.blogspot.com/2011/05/hops-follows_19.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have crazy hair colors as well, and I hear you on the lurking. I read a lot of blogs, I just don't comment much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's kinda weird about the sisters o___o You guys must've been destined or something. A cult of K women...sounds rather ominous actually :) Anyway thanks for stopping by, and I used to be a total lurker too. Also trying to rectify that by posting more frequently (like now!)
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  9. There might have been someone like that in my high school who dyed their hair outrageous colors. But I'm having a hard time finding their face in my memory!

    Thanks for visiting/following my blog! I follow you now too!

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    New Follower
    Jessica@a GREAT read

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for responding to my poll.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you own a typewriter! It will be worth tons of money one day (or maybe not) . :) Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a fun question. I’m learning so much about everybody and I don’t think most of us are as quirky as we think we are.

    My quirks seem normal enough. As I wrote them I woke up to the fact a lot of my quirks create inner conflicts. I’ve got a lot to think about!

    Follow me Back to my blog and see what quirks I’ve got – http://www.howardsherman.net

    Howard A. Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopping through. I have a typewriter from the 1920s. I used it to write letters when I was a kid.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Karen! Thanks for Hopping by! I also dyed my hair crazy colors in my teen years. Kinda fun!

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. #5 Wow, I don't have any S(s) in my husband's family (or mine). Hi! Just stopping by. Following you from the Feature and Follow Friday blog hop (finishing from last night!). Would love a follow back: blog.writerslairbooks.com. I also have twitter: @wlbks. Have a 'good read' weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all the visits!

    ReplyDelete