Sunday, August 20, 2006

busy weekend

For some reason reading has been slow going for me this month. I don't really know why... but then again maybe I've been spending too much time on the computer. LOL

Anyway, I had a busy weekend.

Saturday I went to St. Catharines, Ontario for a meetup extravaganza with my local BookCrossing friends.
We started out at the Book Depot (the Book Closeouts retail outlet). I spent $102 and got lots of goodies. Here's a little sampling:
~ I & Claudius by Clare de Vries (my friend Janelle told me about this one, it sounds so cute)
~ King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild (this one has been on my wishlist for a long time)
~ The Poet and the Murderer by Simon Worrall (I'm going to need this one for my book club)
~ The Secret River by Kate Grenville (longlisted for this year's Man Booker Prize)
~ Wicked Women of the Raj by Coralie Younger (I'd never heard of this before, but when I saw this on the shelf in the clearance section, I just had to buy it)

Then we went out to dinner at Spice of Life in Port Dalhousie: great food, amazingly slow service. I'm interested to see what Lauren writes about it in her review blog, ResToronto Reviews.

Today I managed to finish reading The Blue Taxi by N.S. Koeenings (the name is spelled Koenings with an umlaut over the o, but I'm too lazy to look up the proper way to code that character), a book I'm reviewing for Armchair Interviews. I also read The Man of My Dreams by Curtis Sittenfeld from start to finish. That puts me at 7 books read this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment