Saturday, September 19, 2009

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

As of right now I am officially giving up on Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. My bookmark has been ensconced between pages 280 and 281 (of 1006 total) for at least a month and I have felt no desire to pick it up again.

I really want to like this novel, but I just can't get into it. Honestly, it was like pulling teeth to even get as far as I did. Whenever I've tried to read it I've felt like it would never end. I feel guilty given all the awards and rave reviews that Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, but I have to admit that the book just isn't right for me right now and let it find a new reader who'll be able to appreciate it. I plan to wild release it this afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. I had the same problem, but I don't even think I made it that far.

    I even tried to listen to it on tape in the hopes that vocal inflections would arose my interest, but no such luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did complete the novel. But, I just didn't get its so-called awesomeness.

    Really long, and ultimately really convoluted and boring!

    Good to know that some others also share my opinion, considering it came so highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete