Sunday, September 13, 2009

Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

I picked up Guilty Pleasures at a BookCrossing meetup this weekend. It's the first book in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series so I thought I'd try it out. Guilty Pleasures is quite a bit darker than most of the vampire/paranormal books I've read lately, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Interestingly enough, Guilty Pleasures does not read like the first book of a series. On the one hand, it may be a good thing because it means that Hamilton created a very full backstory. On the other, while reading the book I felt like there was so much that I didn't know about the characters and their world that I should to the point where certain things like Anita's relationship with Jean-Claude made so little sense to me that I was sure that I must have been wrong about the book being the first in its series.

The ending is also rushed, with the final confrontation left for the last few pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment