Monday, October 23, 2006

while I was gone...

I read:

Goodbye Tsugumi by Banana Yoshimoto
I don't think I was in the right frame of mind to fully appreciate this novel, the story of the strange friendship between two cousins.

The Kalahari Typing School for Men
by Alexander McCall Smith

More from the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency.

Killing Time by Caleb Carr
We listened to this one read by the author. It was heavy-handed to say the least, but it did have a suprisingly statisfying ending.

The Samurai by Shusaku Endo
A somewhat-boring historical novel. I think I would have appreciated it a great deal more if I had read the afterword before I began the novel itself.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back Karen!! (Is it bad that I comment on the 3rd most recent post? lol) I read the Banana book too a while ago. It was odd. Is there any other way to describe it? Ironically enough, I felt that I wasn't in quite the right frame of mind to be reading it when I read it as well. Perhaps it's just that type of book.

    ReplyDelete