Sunday, October 29, 2006

Myths series

Reading a post in one of the forums I frequent I came to the realization that not everyone knows about Canongate's wonderful Myth series.

The brainchild of Canongate's Jamie Byng, the series was launched in October 2005 and hailed as "the most ambitious simultaneous world-wide publication ever undertaken". Thirty-seven international publishing houses are now involved.

Basically well-known contemporary authors have been invited to write their own versions of classical myths. While many of the titles currently available focus on Greek mythology, the series is by no means restricted to that arena and I expect that we'll be seeing many more non-Western myths as the series progresses.

This is one of the most exciting literary projects in recent memory so if you've never heard of this series, you have to check it out!

Here is a list of titles currently available: Apparently Su Tong has also penned an installment, Binu: The myth of Meng Jiangnu, which has yet to be translated.

Some of the other authors we'll be seeing Myths titles from are Chinua Achebe, A.S. Byatt, David Grossman, Milton Hatoum, and Donna Tartt.

6 comments:

  1. I had never heard of this! I'm so intrigued now, I want to rush out and buy all of them...I can make a start with some gift certs I got for my birthday and some left over from Christmas!

    Thanks Karen! You always point me in new directions.

    Enz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of this! I'm so intrigued now, I want to rush out and buy all of them...I can make a start with some gift certs I got for my birthday and some left over from Christmas!

    Thanks Karen! You always point me in new directions.

    Enz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad.

    It was great seeing you today... and thanks again for the fabulous books. I need to find a way to bump Londonstani at least up my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read "The Penelopiad" this morning and all in one sitting!, it was EXCELLENT, I really must get the rest in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you happen to know what the as yet unpublished books by Chinua Achebe, Milton Hatoum, Phillip Pullman, and JM Coetzee will be about? I heard they were involved but couldn't find any info anywhere. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Katie!

    Unfortunately I don't have any more information on the topics of the upcoming books. I've seen lists of the authors who will be taking part in the project, but those lists never give any clue as to what they'll be writing about...

    ReplyDelete