Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka

"Two years after my mother died, my father fell in love with a glamorous blond Ukrainian divorcee. He was eight-four and she was thirty-six. She exploded into our lives life a fluffy pink grenade, churning up the murky water, bringing to the surface a sludge of sloughed-off memories, giving the family ghosts a kick up the backside."

When you hear that a book was nominated for the Man Booker Prize and shortlisted for the Orange Prize, you expect a work of serious fiction; but when you read a book with a first paragraph like the one above, you know you’re in for a treat...

Read my full review at Armchair Interviews.

1 comment:

  1. Another book I want to read. And I have to go back to Armchair for a longer visit. Thanks for introducing me to that site.

    ReplyDelete