Thursday, January 31, 2013

January reading recap and
notes from the field (a new feature!)

It's quite obvious that I'm failing at my 2013 blogging resolution.1 I also failed to get to the Morgan Library before the Beatrix Potter exhibit closed.2 As for the former - I intend to deal with the January backlog in the coming month and to try to better keep on top of things going forward. As for the later - viewing the online version is better than nothing (and a little birdie told me that they didn't have exhibit catalogs to purchase anyway).

Books read in January

9. Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines - public library
8. White Horse by Alex Adams - Netgalley
7. Sneak by Evan Angler - Netgalley
6. Summerset Abbey by T.J. Brown (mentioned here) - Netgalley
5. The Culling by Steven Dos Santos (mentioned here) - Netgalley
4. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater (post) - public library
3. After the Storm by Sangeeta Bharava (post) - public library
2. The Peculiars by Maureen Doyle McQuerry (post) - personal copy
1. The Twelve Rooms of the Nile by Enid Shomer (post) - public library

I gave up on
- The Lives We Lost by Megan Crewe - Netgalley
reason: Every time I tried to read it the file made my Nook crash. I deleted it from the device and downloaded a fresh copy, but the problem still persisted. I can't bear the idea of reading an entire book on the computer so I probably won't read this properly until I can get a copy from the library. 

Notes from the field
or, the not-so-secret travels of BookCrossing books


background: The neatest thing about Bookcrossing is that the site sends you notifications whenever any of the books that you've logged3 gets a new journal entry. I thought it might be kind of fun to share these on the blog since I always enjoy hearing back from one of my books.
In case it isn't obvious, my posts appear under the name morsecode on the Bookcrossing site.

- This copy of Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie was read by someone who's had it since August 2005.
- This copy of A Mortal Glamour by was mailed from Ontario, Canada (where it had been since May 2007) to Essex, England (arriving on January 25).

footnotes!
  1. There have been extenuating circumstances, but still.
  2. See footnote #1. It would have helped, though, if I'd planned to go right when it first opened.
  3. "Journaled" in Bookcrossing-speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment