Summer is without question my least favorite season, mostly because I hate the weather. I don't hold up well in heat and humidity.
There's one thing I do like about summer though--
Sync, a program that provides free YA-appropriate audiobooks all summer
--and I was horrified to realize that I'd missed the first few week's of this year's program.
So, this is a belated public service announcement.
The Sync-week is Thursday-Wednesday so be sure to download this week's titles (Anna Dressed in Blood and The Woman in White) today or tomorrow.
Another important note, not mentioned below,1 is that these books don't expire like the e-audiobooks you get from the library. So, be sure to check in each week to download the books even if you don't think you'll get around to reading them right away.
Sync YA literature into your earphones with
two free audiobook downloads each week
June 14 - August 22, 2012
Teens and other readers of young adult literature will have the opportunity to listen to bestselling titles and required reading classics this summer. Each week from June 14 to August 22, 2012, Sync will offer two free audiobook downloads.
The audiobook pairings will include a popular YA title and a classic that connects with the
YA title's theme and is likely to show up on a student's summer reading
lists. For example, Laini Taylor's Daughter
of Smoke and Bone, the first book in a new series about a girl who opens a
door to two otherworldly cities at war,2 will be paired with Charles Dicken's A
Tale of Two Cities.
July 5 – July 11, 2012
- Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake, Read by August Ross (AudioGO)
- The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, Read by Ian Holm (AudioGO)
July 12 – July 18, 2012
- Guys Read: Funny Business by Jon Scieszka [Ed.] et al., Read by Michael Boatman, Kate DiCamillo, John Keating, Jon Scieszka, Bronson Pinchot (Harper Audio)
- The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County and Other Stories by Mark Twain, Read by Norman Dietz (Recorded Books)
July 19 – July 25, 2012
- Cleopatra’s Moon by Vicky Alvear Shecter, Read by Kirsten Potter (Oasis Audio)
- Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare, Read by a Full Cast (AudioGO)
July 26 – August 1, 2012
- Pinned by Alfred C. Martino, Read by Mark Shanahan (Listen & Live Audio)
- Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson (Brilliance Audio)
August 2 – August 8, 2012
of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, Read by Khristine Hvam (Hachette Audio)2
- A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, Read by Simon Prebble (Blackstone Audio)
August 9 – August 15, 2012
- Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy, Read by Rupert Degas (Harper Audio)
- Dead Men Kill by L. Ron Hubbard, Read by Jennifer Aspen and a Full Cast
August 16 – August 22, 2012
- The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera, Read by Jay Laga’aia (Bolinda Audio)
- The Call of the Wild by Jack London, Read by William Roberts (Naxos AudioBooks)
And, just for documentary purposes - titles from previous weeks
June 14 – June 20, 2012
- The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch, Read by Dan Bittner (Scholastic Audiobooks)
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, Frank Galati [Adapt.], Read by Shirley Knight, Jeffrey Donovan, and a Full Cast (L.A. Theatre Works)
June 21 – June 27, 2012
- Irises by Francisco X. Stork, Read by Carrington MacDuffie (Listening Library)
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, Read by Wanda McCaddon (Tantor Media)
June 28 – July 4, 2012
- The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud, Read by Simon Jones
- Tales from the Arabian Nights by Andrew Lang, Read by Toby Stephens
More information about Sync is available on the Sync website