Sunday, August 30, 2009

word: trilobite

While I was flipping through a copy of Wendy Johnson's Socks from the Toe Up at a local yarn store yesterday a word I wasn't familiar with caught my eye: trilobite. The word first appeared in the title of one of the patterns (Trilobite Socks) and later in a description of the genesis of a second pattern (Sheri's Posies Socks).

Apparently triobites are a well-known (just not to me!) group of extinct marine arthropods that form the class Trilobita frequently found as fossils.

This Guide to the Orders of Trilobites seems like a good place to learn more, especially since it is maintained by a biologist.

1 comment:

  1. I love trilobites! I learned all about them as a kid, when my parents sent me to classes at the local museum of natural history in the summers. Apparently, Ohio is littered with them, since it was covered by a glacier for a while...

    ReplyDelete