Sunday, November 29, 2009

Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody

Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody by Michael Gerber

"Stop that movie," Headmaster Alpo Bumblemore said, "or Hogwash is history!"
Already overrun by brawling, fetid fans of the bestselling Barry Trotter books, Hogwash is certain to be pulled down brick by brick after Barry's new big-budget biopic debuts. So Barry Trotter, Ermine Cringer, and Lon Measly are hauled out of retirement to face their toughest challenge yet. Not only do the twenty-two-year-olds have to elude packs of rabid fans, outwit Barry's sponging godfather Serious, and vanquish their old foe Lord Valumart, they have to face the most powerful enemy of all: Hollywood!


When I first started listening to the book (I received the audio version on tape from a friend) I really hated it and thought that I wouldn't bother finishing it, but because I listen to books-on-tape in the car when I'm more or less a captive audience I ended up listening to the whole thing anyway. While I wouldn't recommend it (it was most definitely not my cup of tea), I will say that I found that the book got better toward the end.

To clarify, I'm not against parodies on principle and I have no problem with the author poking fun at Rowling and Potter, I'm just not the right person to give any kind of review of a book like this as my sense of humor does not tend to jive with that of the general populace (which is why I generally eschew "funny" movies). Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody is not appropriate for kids (mostly because of sexual references), but adults may find it amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment