Saturday, October 04, 2008

A Week of Missed Thursdays (7)

You, um, may have noticed that the Olympics are going on right now, so that’s the genesis of this week’s question, in two parts:

First:
* Do you or have you ever read books about the Olympics? About sports in general?
* Fictional ones? Or non-fiction? Or both?

And, Second:
* Do you consider yourself a sports fan?
* Because, of course, if you’re a rabid fan and read about sports constantly, there’s a logic there; if you hate sports and never read anything sports-related, that, too... but you don’t have to love sports to enjoy a good sports story.
* (Or a good sports movie, for that matter. Feel free to expand this into a discussion about “Friday Night Lights” or “The Natural” or whatever...)
(from August 14)

I'm probably much less of a sports fan now than I have been in the past. I enjoy the Olympics because they allow us to see sports that we don't tend to see otherwise (for summer I love watching rowing and synchronized swimming among others). Other than that, though, I don't tend to watch a lot of sport. During Tour de France month I see a lot of cycling, but while I do enjoy that, it's really Russell's passion.

That being said, I was much more into sports in my youth. I collected cards, some baseball, some hockey, but mostly basketball. I also had an unhealthy obsession with the "Dream Team" from the 1992 Olympics.

I don't tend to read a lot of books about sport - not that I intentionally avoid them, but they just don't cross my path very much. My favorite sports movie is probably The Cutting Edge, which is more of a sports-themed chick-flick than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment