Sunday, April 13, 2008

Chronicles of Narnia

I like audio books. I find them particularly useful for long car trips, knitting, and EAD encoding. They are, however, quite expensive... so when I happened across the Harper Children's Audio Chronicles of Narnia Unabridged Box set ($193 value for $75) at the discount book store for an additional 70% off, I just couldn't resist.

Of course I read all the books when I was a child (long enough ago that I couldn't remember a lot of the details), but I knew this would be a set to keep and that we'd listen to the discs again and again. So far, I haven't been disappointed. In the past few months I've made my way through the first six books (mostly knitting) and have enjoyed every minute.

Thirty-one hours of Narnia performed by a variety of big-name actors.
The Magician's Nephew, read by Kenneth Branagh
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, read by Michael York
The Horse and His Boy, read by Alex Jennings
Prince Caspian, read by Lynn Redgrave
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, read by Derek Jacobi
The Silver Chair, read by Jeremy Northam
The Last Battle, read by Patrick Stewart
The books are available individually, but even at $75 this set is a steal.

4 comments:

  1. I loved this series as a child and have read the books again since the film came out.

    However I won't be watching the film...I hate these new revamps of everything...

    My favourite is the Magician's Nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I really want that set. Haven't read those books for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these too, I actually got them off of Audible for $10 a piece, so I think your deal was better! I loved that they were all done by such great readers! I haven't gotten through them all yet, but have loved what I've heard so far!

    ReplyDelete