Sunday, February 24, 2008

What are you reading?

My friend Breeni of Breeni Books tagged me for the What are you reading? meme.

I'm supposed to -
Turn to page 123 of the nearest book, go to the fifth sentence and post the next three! Then tag five more people.

I'll cheat and do this for the two books that I'm most actively reading at the moment and not tag five people.

First -
Tobacco particulate thickens the air.
A shelf of books: Auden, Veblen, Spengler, Steinbeck, Dos Passos. Tropic of Cancer, out in plain view, it must have been smuggled.
That's from Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin, which I am reading in preparation for our book club discussion on Wednesday.

Second -
I went eagerly into it. Then we took a sharp left, and the road changed, we crunched over dirt. There was a car parked at the end of the lane, and the hard black of a building through the overhanging branches, and we got out and walked towards it, around a corner, and now there was a single bulb above a door.
That's from Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra. I got a lovely hardcover copy of this book last weekend for $2 at Russell's new favorite used book store. I'm not supposed to be adding books to Mt. TBR - but I'd heard really good things about this book and the protagonist is a Sikh - so I've decided to read it before it can make it to one of our book cases (so it'll never technically by on Mt. TBR). I'm on page 181 of 900.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating! I really need to read some Atwood. I'm probably the only person around who hasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did you find the atwood poem?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tagged you!

    http://trishsdiary.wordpress.com/2008/02/26/6-word-memoir-meme/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love out-of-context book quotes. They can provide such stimulation for the imagination.

    ReplyDelete