I haven't done a reading challenge in a while, but when I saw the Take a Chance challenge, I thought it might be fun.
I'll post the list again once my selections for each category have been made, but in the meantime here are the categories (with instructions):
1. Staff Member’s Choice: Go to a bookstore or library that has a “Staff Picks” section. Read one of the picks from that section.
2. Loved One’s Choice: Ask a loved one to pick a book for you to read. (If you can convince them to buy it for you, that is even better!)
3. Blogger’s Choice: Find a “Best Books Read” post from a favorite blogger. Read a book from their list.
4. Critic’s Choice: Find a “Best of the Year” list from a magazine, newspaper or professional critic. Read a book from their Top 10 list.
5. Blurb Book: Find a book that has a blurb on it from another author. Read a book by the author that wrote the blurb.
6. Book Seer Pick: Go to The Book Seer and follow the instructions there. Read a book from the list it generates for you.
7. What Should I Read Next Pick: Go to What Should I Read Next and follow the instructions there. Read a book from the list it generates for you.
8. Which Book Pick: Go to Which Book and use the software to generate a list of books. Read a book from that list.
9. LibraryThing Pick: Go to LibraryThing’s Zeitgeist page. Look at the lists for 25 Most Reviewed Books or Top Books and pick a book you’ve never read. Read the book. (Yes... you can click on MORE if you have to.)
Note: #10 allowed participants to choose one of three different options. I decided to go with two of the three.
10a. Public Spying: Find someone who is reading a book in public. Find out what book they are reading and then read the same book. Write about it.
10b. Random Bestseller: Go to Random.org and, using the True Random Number Generator, enter the number 1950 for the min. and 2010 for the max. and then hit generate. Then go to this site and find the year that Random.org generated for you and click on it. Then find the bestseller list for the week that would contain your birthday for that year. Choose one of the bestsellers from the list that comes up, read it and write about it.