Thursday, March 12, 2009

Booking Through Thursday

Last week's question:
We’ve all seen the lists, we’ve all thought, “I should really read that someday,” but for all of us, there are still books on “The List” that we haven’t actually gotten around to reading. Even though we know they’re fabulous. Even though we know that we’ll like them. Or that we’ll learn from them. Or just that they’re supposed to be worthy. We just... haven’t gotten around to them yet.
What’s the best book that YOU haven’t read yet?


What a question. I'm not sure that there is one, true answer to the question. For now, I think I'll say the Canongate Myths books (see this post) that I've been slowly collecting despite the fact that I haven't managed to read any of them yet.

Today's question:
What book do you think should be made into a movie? And do you have any suggestions for the producers?
Or, What book do you think should NEVER be made into a movie?


I'm not a huge fan of books being made into movies. So far the only movie version that I've liked better than the book is Bridget Jones's Diary (though, I guess I should admit that I thought the books themselves were a bit too much). I won't watch the Harry Potter movies any more on principle (I stopped after the 3rd). I hate the fact that if you haven't actually read the books you would have literally no idea what was going on because so much of the plot and storyline have been cut out in order to make the films a manageable length.

That being said, I'm usually happy to watch the latest Austen remakes. I think PBS and the BBC do a good job with their classics though the recent Room with a View (see this post) is a notable exception.

I'm pretty sure that I even own a copy of Bride and Prejudice (I love me some Bollywood goodness). That makes me think, though, that in the case of classics I tend to be a bit more open to crazy movie adaptations that I am to novels that try to do something similar. Case in point, The Man who Love Jane Austen, which I read recently and found to be just a bit too farfetched.

2 comments:

  1. There have been some GREAT BOOKS made into GREAT MOVIES. Think about: Gone with the Wind, To Kill A Mockingbird, and Chicago. My response is here:
    http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2009/03/booking-through-thursday-movie.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to watch more of the Jane Austen movie adaptations.

    Here's a link to my post:
    http://athomewithbooks.blogspot.com/2009/03/booking-through-thursday-march-12.html

    ReplyDelete