The 2013 Nobel Prize in Literature is awarded to Alice Munro,
"master of the contemporary short story."
Here are link to the prize announcement (with video) and the very skimpy press release (PDF).
I haven't read Munro in ages, because I tend to gravitate toward novels over short stories. I will have to address this lack of recent Munro-reading soon. For myself and others in the same position I've included a selected bibliography below. I'd appreciate any specific recommendations.
An incomplete Bibliography
- Dance of the Happy Shades and Other Stories (1968)
- Lives of Girls and Women (1971)
- Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You: Thirteen Stories (1974)
- The Beggar Maid: Stories of Flo and Rose aka Who Do You Think You Are?: Stories (1979)
- The Moons of Jupiter: Stories (1982)
- The Progress of Love (1986)
- Friend of My Youth: Stories (1990)
- Open Secrets: Stories (1994)
- The Love of a Good Woman: Stories (1998)
- Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: Stories (2001)
- Runaway: Stories (2004)
- The View from Castle Rock: Stories (2006)
- Away from Her (2007)
- Too Much Happiness: Stories (2009)
- Dear Life: Stories (2012)