Tuesday, March 22, 2011

it's not easy being green

"Unlike the dopey Oranges, who accepted their lot with self-effacing good humour, Greens never managed to rise above the feeling that no one took them seriously enough" (Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde, 4).

I was quite taken with that line when I first came across it and I meant to share this quote when I typed up my post about Shades of Grey.

My favorite color is orange, but in many ways I may be a Green (see post regarding hubris).

A side note about the color grey. Whenever I set down the word, I always have the feeling that I've spelled it incorrectly. I decided to do a little research and I found out the root of this orthographic1 predicament. Apparently the difficulty stems from a difference in British and American usage. Both the grey and gray spellings are correct, but grey is standard for the UK and gray for the US.
  1. orthography: the art of writing words with the proper letters according to standard usage (spelling, hyphenation, capitalization, word breaks, emphasis, and punctuation).

No comments:

Post a Comment