Thursday, May 06, 2010

The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

The Postmistress follows a number of different American characters both at home and abroad during WWII, among them a doctor, a war correspondent, and of course a postmistress.

One of the ladies who attends the Rochester, NY bookcrossing meetup loaned me The Postmistress in March, telling me that I'd love it and that I should read it and return it to her when I saw her again in May. Because I'd just finished Exodus by Leon Uris (see post) I didn't want to read The Postmistress right away.

The problem with getting a book highly recommended is that one tends to have quite high expectations. It's much more difficult to like a book that one expects to love but doesn't than it is to like a book that one comes to neutrally.

In any case, The Postmistress isn't a bad book, but I wasn't crazy about it. I expected to find The Postmistress compelling (and compelling in a way that only tragic, WWII books can be), but I didn't. I wasn't particularly invested in the characters despite the fact that most were sympathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment