Thursday, October 25, 2007

Booking Through Thursday - Read with Abandon?

The books that you start but don’t finish say as much about you as the ones you actually read, sometimes because of the books themselves or because of the circumstances that prevent you from finishing. So... what books have you abandoned and why?

Most recently I abandoned No Great Mischief by Alistair MacLeod. I'm sure that it's not a bad book (in fact I've heard many good things about it), but I just couldn't get into it. I just wasn't in the right mindset for it so I decided to send it on to it's next reader instead of letting it collect dust around the house.

I also have a book that's currently languishing. I started reading it, but haven't yet finished. I think I'm about a third of the way through. The problem with this one is that it just wasn't what I was expecting. I fully intend to finish it though - maybe I'll try to pick up again this weekend.

I used never to give up on books because I'd feel so guilty about it, but I've started to be more open to starting, but not finishing after joining BookCrossing since I have so many books coming in (there some days I'm sure that our postal carrier curses my name). There are so many books out there that I really shouldn't be spending time reading books I really don't want to read. Of course I still feel guilty about it, but when I do I try to remember Nancy Pearl's Rule of 50.

3 comments:

  1. I've been going through all the answers to this meme so far, fearing that someone was going to post a book that I really liked. Now it's happened.

    Still, I can understand. It is a slow book and perhaps depressing at times. I don't know if you have any Canadian connections though, because I think underneath it all is a pleasant little essay on what it means to be Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found I'm more compelled to finished books since joining BC. Happy BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a BC'er too. :) Love passing on books. Now the latest book I let go without reading was Terror by Dan Simmons. It just wasn't working for me.

    ReplyDelete