Thursday, August 23, 2007

Booking Through Thursday - Indoctrination

When growing up did your family share your love of books? If so, did one person get you into reading? And, do you have any family-oriented memories with books and reading?

I was definitely indoctrinated as a child. My parents are both big readers. My dad reads primarily fantasy and science fiction. My mom loves historical fiction and books set in far-off lands, but also reads mysteries and a variety of other genres. I was a frequent visitor to my local library. I actually remember quite vividly getting my first library card when I was in kindergarten (though that's not particularly family-oriented).

When I moved out, every time I came home to visit I'd find a couple little piles of books in my room, titles that my mom and dad thought I'd enjoy. Now that I'm out of school with more time for leisure reading (and because I'm so involved in BookCrossing), things seem to be switched. I'm constantly recommending books to my parents and every time I see my mom I hand over a huge shopping bag full of books for her to read (I'm like her own personal lending library!).

3 comments:

  1. Like you, I was raised by avid readers. We were lucky that way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just done my first BTT ... and I'm intrigued to find that, as well as being brought up (I'm English, how can you tell?) by avid readers, you review books. Would you be interested in reviewing my first novel? It's called SPEAKING of LOVE and there are links to its website from my blog. If you think you would, let me know and I will get the publishers to send you a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about the role reversal. I'm constantly finding books my parents will like through BC. Now if only I could convince them to join...

    ReplyDelete