Monday, May 11, 2009

quick comments on recent reads

The Mermaids Singing by Lisa Carey

I absolutely love the title of this book. I'm sure that is what drew me to it.
The story of three generations of women, The Mermaids Singing was a nice read, but I have to admit it was a bit forgettable.

Posh by Lucy Jackson

A look into the upper class world of the Griffin School and those associated with it.
I had mixed feelings about this one, feeling about it much like I did about Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. (Note: Lucy Jackson is a pseudonym for "an acclaimed short story writer and novelist")

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Reading this book was a bit of a strange experience for me. I felt like I was rereading a book that I'd read long ago, but that can't be the case as the book was only published in 2006. I'm fairly certain that I did read the opening chapter either when I first received the book or when I saw the book in a book store, but why the rest of the story seemed vaguely familiar, I have no idea.
More after our book club meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment