Thursday, January 24, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Huh?

What's your favorite book that nobody else has heard of? You know, not Little Women or Huckleberry Finn, not the latest best-seller . . . whether they’ve read them or not, everybody "knows" those books. I’m talking about the best book that, when you tell people that you love it, they go, "Huh? Never heard of it?"

Going back to my first ever post on this blog, you can see that I count a number of books that many people haven't heard of among my favorites (like The Book of Laughter and Forgetting for example).

An unknown book that I frequently recommend to others is Zahrah and the Windseeker by Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu (read my review here).

Another title that always got the "huh" was Das Leben ist eine Karawanserei, hat zwei Türen, aus einer kam ich rein, aus der anderen ging ich raus by Emine Sevgi Özdamar (I wrote about this book in my bachelor's thesis - yeah, comparative literature!) and I have to say that I was completely shocked when I saw it listed among the 1,001 books you must read before you die. Not because it isn't a fantastic book, but because it's so obscure (the English edition is published by a university press).

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the Book of Laughter and Forgetting. I haven't heard of the other two, but they sound as though they're worth looking out for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to check these out! I always find goodies on your blog to add to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this question because I'm adding a lot of books to my TBR pile (Jasper FForde) and hate this question because I'm adding a lot of books to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jasper Fforde is fantastic, though. I'm sure you'll enjoy his books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tagged you for another reading meme which I thought was interesting

    http://aceandhoserblook.blogspot.com/2008/01/reading-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a frothy piece of literature, but I love The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas.

    ReplyDelete