Saturday, February 17, 2007

Debut a Debut: recap and future reading

Today is the last day of the fun and exciting Debut a Debut week.

I featured four books this week:
The Interpretation of Murder by Jed Rubenfeld,
Jade Tiger by Jenn Reese,
Kabbalah: A Love Story by Lawrence Kushner, and
Torch by Cheryl Strayed.

I read and was planning to feature The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury, but changed my mind after another contestant featured it.

I was planning to end the week featuring Londonstani by Gautam Malkani, but it's a challenging read full of London desi street slang -- for example:
-- I already told u, u thick khota: outside Nando's, innit, goes Hardjit, though without needin to shout cos Ravi eased off with his hand an foot for him. -- I also told'chyu we had 2 call Davinder b4 we left dis place, innit, so any a u chiefs know his mobile? (15)
-- and I don't want to rush through it.

I also have a number of other qualifying books on Mt. TBR (to be read):
~ The Dream Life of Sukhanov by Olga Grushin
~ Elements of Style by Wendy Wasserstein
~ The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean
~ The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
but as they say "too many books, too little time." I'll just have to get to them when I get to them.

In any case, it's been a great week. I've discovered some great new blogs and read about some great new books. From my perspective, it was a resounding success.

6 comments:

  1. Aww, thanks, Karen!

    I have the Madonnas of Leningrad, too, on Mt. TBR. I have a feeling that as I work my way through the mount, I'll be realizing how much this one contest has opened my eyes to debut works.

    Hope you'll join us for Debut a Debut 2008 -- and the summer contest in between now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Thirteenth Tale and The Madonnas of Leningrad. Both were intriguing and full of well drawn characters...and our favourite - history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enz! I see you got an account :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Karen! We at Debut a Debut are proud to award you a copy of Suzanne Adair's Paper Woman.

    I have your contact information, and will be in touch about how to get your prize.

    From all of us at West of Mars, Writing Aspirations, and Debut a Debut, thanks and congratulations. You helped make this contest a success. Hope you'll join us for future contests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I'm a dork, Karen, because we've got more for you!

    A copy of Sela Carsen's e-book, Not Quite Dead.

    Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete