Saturday, July 30, 2011

a trip to Borders

Today Russell and I decided to visit our local Borders to check out their going-out-of-business sale.

I have to say that the store wasn't nearly as busy as I expected it to be. The majority of the store's stock was 20% off so I suspect that many shoppers are holding out for deeper discounts.

My mom asked me to pick up a book she wanted to send to a friend (A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff). For myself, I only got one book and some knitting magazines1 since magazines were 40% off.

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross is the book that came home with me. I've wanted to read it since I first saw the description and I didn't manage to snag a review copy. Seeing all the blogger reviews has been a bit of cruel and unusual punishment so when I noticed one copy on the shelf, I snagged it.

Russell's purchases:We'll be going back as the liquidation proceeds though I (at least) will try not to bring too many more books home.
  1. Creative Knitting, Sept 2011; Debbie Bliss, Spring/Summer 2011; Knitscene, Summer 2011, Fall 2011; and The Knitter, issue 31

3 comments:

  1. This post makes me very, very sad. I have loved Borders for a long time and losing them is just awful. Sad thing is, there won't be anything to replace them - just more online book stores where you can't browse in an effective way. I guess reviewers like you are going to play an increasingly important role in our soon-to-be-post-bookstore-world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russell thinks that we're going to see a bunch of indy bookstores opening in the wake of the Borders closures. I hope that he's right. I guess we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see more book stories opening, Indy or not. We have two independent book stores here and a chain that mostly deals in used books. I think they will stick around for a while, but I doubt more will be added. I think Charles is right, book bloggers will have an increasingly important role in getting the word out there about books that are worthy of our time. I loved Borders as well. It is sad to see them go.

    ~Sherri
    www.findingannaseries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete