Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Jules Verne



Apparently today is Jules Verne's 183rd birthday. I have to say that I wouldn't have known, if I hadn't seen the cool Verne-inspired interactive doodle on Google's homepage this morning. This PC Magazine article discusses the doodle. I have to admit that I spent some time finagling the controls in order to grab a screenshot that included the little hot air balloon (the above was the best I could do).

In any case, the doodle serves as a reminder that I've been wanting to read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Some readers will know that I am a bit of an ichthyophobic, but I always enjoyed the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride a Disneyland as a child and between Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Sarah Brightman's Dive album I've developed a fascination with Captain Nemo.

2 comments:

  1. That is a very cool doodle- thanks for pointing out the significance this morning! I haven't read any Jules Verne in years, I remember enjoying him, though. If you get a chance, come over and check out my blog...I've been doing photo essays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've added your blog to my reader, Mel, though I have to admit that I'm not all that good at keeping up with blogs (though I'm trying to be better about it!)

    ReplyDelete