Thursday, June 12, 2008

Weather Warden

Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series

So far I've read the first three books -- Ill Wind, Heat Stroke, and Chill Factor -- and am in the process of reading the fourth, Windfall.

I read Ill Wind last summer.
Ill Wind was a quick read, but very enjoyable. It took me a little while to really get into the world Caine is describing, but after that point I was hooked. I loved the twist at the end and am looking forward to reading the other books in the series (as soon as I get my hands on them!).
- 31 July 2007 journal entry
I'd been slowly accumulating the other books in the series (I had books 3-5), but finally broke down and bought Heat Stroke last month so that I could get on with reading the series (and passing the books on to another reader).

Now that I have read more of the series, I have a better idea of Caine's intent. The series, and Caine's world, get more complex with each addition to the story. Sometimes things do seem a bit too complex and there seems to be too much action, too many twists. Caine's protagonist, Joanne, however is very sympathetic (though at times her focus on fashion and cars seems a bit forced) and Caine puts her through a heck of a lot in such a short period of time.

4 comments:

  1. I recently finished Book Four (the problem with so many series right now is that I forget their titles!) and other than the fact that TPTB never seem to learn the best way to handle Joann, I like the series. I like where it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this series as well, and Joanne does really get pummelled in every book doesn't she! I am looking forward to the next book in the series. Have you read any of Caine's other books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marg, I've only read 'Glass Houses', the first Morganville Vampires book and I didn't like that one nearly as much (it was too dark).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. I bought that one not long ago. Not sure when I am going to read that one though.

    ReplyDelete